Friday, May 23, 2008

Ultrasound and Mammogram

I had both a mammogram and an ultrasound this year. Why? Because I have such a strong family history, I am considered high risk- first (and only) baby after 30, limited breast feeding, apple shape, meat lover, family history......I hit all the check boxes. So I am a little extra careful. A recent study by JAMA cited that this combination was superior to conventional mammography in detecting lesions- the only problem is that it also substantially increases the risk of false positives. I'll take my chances with a false positive if it comes down to that but the risk of missing an early change is too great for me.
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Adding screening ultrasonography to conventional breast mammography increases the diagnostic yield by about 50% among women at high risk for breast cancer, according to study findings published in the Journal of the American Medical Association for May 14. However, the combined strategy also substantially increases the number of false positives. Click on text to go to the whole article.

Breast cancer is highly treatable if it is caught early.

No comments: